Unread 02-09-03, 10:07 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
recurrent training

Ernie

Lot depends on
1) insurance requirements
2) Amount of IFR flying.

I would think that going with a good CFII would be more beneficial than a simulator to catch any irregularities if dealing with mostly VFR flying.

Sim training is good for making sure there are no bad habits creeping in. You can get more proceedural training done in a shorter time in a simulator. Too bad RTI does not have a motion simulator <G>.

If you are not doing a lot of instrument flying then the simulator is probably far less beneficial than the local CFI route. I agree with everything that Kevin has said.

I think everyone, even professionals, can benefit from Sim training. It is good life insurance, however, I feel that it is not as beneficial as shooting real approaches in real weather. There is a vast difference in the "pucker factor". I would say it is best done in September before the onslaught of long nights and miserable wx in the north east.

Doesn't really matter how many hours or years of experience. Complacency kills pilots and bends hardware.

Being current and alert is still the best insurance. Things can deteriorate really quickly including the wx and your personal confidence.

Bob