View Single Post
Unread 02-14-03, 03:50 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
oil temp

Kevin

The problem appears to be engine temperature. You need at least 170 deg oil temp to rid condensation from engine. any colder and condensation is going to occur. 150 degrees is really totally unacceptable.

Need to check the thermionic valve in the engine cooler and make sure the oil is being bypassed from the cooler. secondly check to see if you can find winter baffles for the engine.

Thirdly you probably need to insulate the oil fill tube on the rear engine as this is a good place for condensation to occur.

The oil temp is different from the crankcase and your engine temps on the crankcase (top) is probably going to be colder!

Not sure if you have an oil seperator but this might cause some problems with venting of the engine. I would suspect this needs to be insulated or it can cause freezing. (mine is insulated with the black type foam) (just a consideration).

My vent hose does have a slit (relief) inside the cowling that would allow venting. It appears the excess moisture is being vented then freezing which is adding to the problem.

Bottom line............ engine temps are just too low. perhaps cruising at a higher power setting would help to some extent. What are the cht's ?

bob