View Single Post
Unread 09-02-03, 12:00 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
fees

We all know that it cost real money for Kevin to put this website up, and maintain it. It also costs something we can never pay, and that is a substantial amount of time.

We all know it cost real money for the 2 fly-ins we have had.

Unfortunately, we have left it to those who do so to pay for it. Bob Cook paid for many things in the Bahamas, and that George Amthor paid for his flight to the Bahamas, as our guest speaker. Jerry paid for things to make Nashville happen, not to mention the work involved by both people at the respective events. So Kevin, Bob, and Jerry have paid. What about the rest of us?

Growing the membership takes 2 things, time and money. This group has representation from several countries, and many of the people who registered do not own skymasters, yet the total represents less than 1/3 of the registered skymasters in the US. Informing the other 2/3 takes time and money. It would be beneficial for all, but without the money, it's hard to make the time.

Having another meeting takes the same 2 things, plus a commitment for the number of people attending. It's impossible to arrange a gathering someplace when you tell the hosting facilities (hotels and FBO's) there will be between 14 and 43 people attending. Jerry was faced with this in Nashville, when the number of people was less than the hotel expected, and they wanted to charge him for the meeting room. With an expectation of the number attending, we can attract speakers. Not that everyone who was in Nashville wasn't excellent. They were. Brian, Jim, Scott, Owen, John, (did I forget someone?) all gave truly excellent presentations.

I vote, if there was such a thing, that the fee schedule Jerry proposes is reasonable.

Yes Kevin, we did entrust the money to a lawyer.

I also think that next month, we have to start thinking about where/when the next meeting will take place, and think about how we let the other skymaster owners in the US, CA, MX, etc, know about it. Jenny (or Jim, can't remember which) made the point that the FAA database is unreliable, but it is a start. 900 letters (US registrations) would cost $300+ to mail.

Scheduling is important. Before Jan 1, there has to be a commitment to a location, a timetable, so people can make plans, and make commitments. Wait until Jan to start thinking about a location, and notifying people, and it will be poorly attended. If we have an indication by Jan of the number of people, that will help with the speakers and timing.

Just my .02

Larry

Last edited by WebMaster : 09-02-03 at 12:08 PM.