View Single Post
Unread 09-03-03, 11:44 PM
Flight Instructor

JediNein is an unknown quantity at this point
Greetings,
I wrote a book on using 16 of the most popular IFR panel mount GPS units including the GARMIN 530 and CNX80. From that, my opinion on the CNX80 as compared to the 530:
Smaller display
Lots more buttons and those buttons change their functions every so often
Not as intuitive, it took me 6 hours to get the sucker to do a GPS approach yet I was able to get the 530 to do an approach the first time I walked up to it.
Has more ways to get lost in the unit
Has an annoying habit of not navigating GPS direct unless you force it, kind of like Microsoft's naggy "are you sure you want to do that?" question box every time you change something. (The 'discontinuity" feature)
Requires confirmation of any change in the flight plan, won't save changes until you "EXECUTE"
Limited in what units it will communicate with (weather? traffic? HAH! Buy the MX20 run on Microsoft Windows for that)
Not any more accurate in position even with WAAS (2.2 feet estimated position error sitting next to a 530 saying the same thing while near a known active WAAS ground station.
Even though it is WAAS compliant, you still can't fly a precision GPS approach with it.
Does allow input of Victor Airways (but requires too much button pressing to get the durn things in there, faster to input the start, end, and course change points)
Displays the Victor Airways and Jet Routes on the maps (screen clutter!!!! Won't let you just display YOUR flight planned airway)
Will allow control of a remote transponder, once or if the remote transponder is developed
Allows storage of an Alternate in the active flight plan, which really doesn't provide that much of a benefit.
Has a FlyLeg feature, 3-4 button presses versus 2 button presses on the 530
Has a NRST button
Can only use one radio at a time. The Big/Little Knob will only work COM function OR VOR function OR GPS function. If ATC gives you a clearance change followed by a frequency change, you'd better have a way to write it down as the CNX80 won't let you work both. The 530 will let you stop working with the flight plan, work the radio, continue with the flight plan.
Default "get to same place every time" key is the MAP key. Press it, go to a map page.
No CLEAR button
Smaller print on the screen, especially the setup pages.
If there is a Map view other than the 120 degree arc, I haven't found it.
Sizes the pink line on the screen to the ground path of the aircraft for such things as holds and procedure turns. Great, but the pilot has other things to do than to make sure the little airplane is always on the little pink line.
Lots of software updates coming, be good friends with your dealer. (530 does have some updates occasionally, but not for basic functionality!)

Both units have:
Non-precision GPS approachs
Moving Map Displays
COMM/VOR
Flight Plans
SIDs (DPs) & STARs
Extensive everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know about airports, navaids, frequencies, etc.
Nearest
WAAS compatibility (when General Aviation can do precision GPS approaches, the 530 will be capable of them)
Timers
Vertical Navigation advisories

The 530 has, but the CNX80 doesn't have the ability to display:
Traffic from TIS, TCAD, TCAS
NEXRAD, METARS
STORMSCOPE Data
Terrain
Air Data Computer info (Wind Vectors)
Fuel Burn and Flow info,
or to give position reporting.

An avionics shop owner friend has installed 8 CNX80s so far. He claims all of the owners love their units. Yet none of those folks have tried a non-precision GPS approach in IMC with it.

If you want easy-to-learn, easy-to-use, go with the 530. If you want to beat your head against the brick wall for awhile, go with the CNX80. Master the CNX80 on the ground before attempting to go fly with it, especially if it is your only comm radio.

Hope that helps,
Jedi Nein