Thread: The Differences
View Single Post
Unread 09-10-03, 07:44 AM
Ace of the Atmosphere

skymstr02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by hardball
Tom (Oscardeuce):

I was interested to learn via your post of the extra spar in the 02. I seem to remember reading somewhere (Cessna propaganda?) that there were NO structural changes made to the Skymaster airframe, with the exception of hard points for mounting hings under the wings, when it became the 02. This sounds structural to me. Did Cessna feel a need to beef up the wing or was this to meet a government spec? I understand that there's a guy who does (used to do?) an airshow routine in an older (pre-"porthole" side windows `72-73?) 337. Anyone know if this airplane is actually an 02? Thanks for the input.

Regards,
Jim
There are numerous structural differences between the O-2A and a civillian version. The rear spar is beefed up to absorb the firing impact loads from the hard points. The main spars are different, and are attached to the fuselage using bolts two sizes larger than the civil counterpart. There are lifting eyes installed on both fuselage spar carry throughs. There is 5 degrees more elevator travel, more elevator trim travel, and the bob weight and spring in the left vertical fin are missing, creating a more heavy feel in the pitch for the USAF types. An O-2 can cross feed the aux fuel, the electrical system is totally different, the landing gear indicating system can silence the gear warning horm, there is no yellow light to indicate gear up, but a red light to indicate gear in transient. The cowl flap actuating system is different. The engines have tach generators, no mickey mouse mag sensor for engine speed indications. The engines inter cylinder baffling is different, so no prop spinner is necessary, no so on the civil version, etc, etc, etc.

I've got around 500 hours in mine, and wouldn't trade it for any other 337.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg o-2toon.jpg (228.2 KB, 1189 views)