View Single Post
Unread 01-20-05, 07:08 PM

Nick Bailey is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know if you plan on doing a lot IFR down in Kiwi land, but you'll be much happier in a Skymaster, one engine or two. I just completed IFR training and can tell you that if I lost an engine IMC in an Aztec, it would be a prescription for disaster. I have a conventional ME licence, prior to buying the Skymaster and knew that engine out in IMC in a conventional light twin would be too much for the average 200 Hr a year pilot. Engine loss in IMC in a Skymaster is much easier. I was actually able to accomplish missed approaches, single engine in the Skymaster without too much fuss. It was sufficiently challenging however, even not having to deal with the asymetrical thrust. I would not want to try that in an Aztec.
If you are a glass is half empty guy and make your decisions on what could go wrong, the Skymaster is the bird. As another example, I know you fly over a lot of water down there like I do here in the Caribbean. God forbid you have to ditch, but I think the Skymaster configuration with the high wing will be easier to land in water. If you can slow it up prior to touchdown, it really helps. I have installed Micro VG's with stall speed 1 knot slower than Robertson conversion ( according to MD stats) so you have a much better chance of surviving ditch in Skymaster with wings above waves, reducing the flip possibility. ( maybe that's why I like the Skymaster; it makes a better boat than other twins....)
Also on positive safety side is that is has (arguably) the best cockpit visibility of any GA aircraft. Helpful in busy airspace.
On the fun side ( I know you Kiwis are world champions at this) it is a much better bird to just go sightseeing. Not much fun in an Aztec. However, if you want to haul dead people, the Aztec is the bird. We have two of them here modified to do that.
Just my two cents.