Thread: Gear horn
View Single Post
Unread 02-21-05, 03:13 PM

Pat Schmitz is an unknown quantity at this point
This happened to me once last week while headed from Iowa to the Florida Keys - although slightly different.

On takeoff - the gear were retracted, and when they were in transit, and stowed - they gear horn sounded... After they are completely up - the horn continued to sound. The only way I could silence them was to put the gear back down.

There is a micro switch on the throttle body that is designed to warn you if the throttles are pulled back without the gear in the down position. That micro switch can be sticky in really cold conditions like we had 8 to 10 days ago.... We returned, landed, and sprayed some contact cleaner and checked for proper adustment - then it was fine the rest of my trip to the keys and back...

According to a local mechanic - If you are out on a trip and it gives you trouble (while not recommended) you can remove the ground wire and it will silence the horn until you can have it serviced properly... But beware thay you are now flying without any warning should you accidently forget to put your gear down.

Best to just have the problem fixed and keep it there for it's intended purpose.