View Single Post
Unread 03-31-05, 02:17 PM
Owner 337H N337DC

Dale Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Electrical Failure on Take Off

I just flew up to Albany yesterday and had a power failure. I
had not flown for a number of weeks and the battery was low when I started engines at home base. I flew to Lake George and landed. On restart battery was back up to full charge. I then flew on to Albany. When I started engines again all was fine. I returned to Lake George and landed. On starting engines all was fine. I took off, pulled up landing gear. Gear went in fine, doors closed and I got a green light. Still in climb mode with full power on. All instruments went dead. Lost all electrical power, and both 30 Amp breakers poped. I turned off master switch and Alternator switches and pushed both circuit breakers in. I turned master and alternator switches back on and both breakers poped again. I leveled off at 3,500 feet and reduced power to 25 inches and props to 2,500 rpm. I once again checked all other breakers and I pulled out landing gear breaker since it happened when gear went up. I turned off master and alt. switches again. I waited about 3 minutes. I reset both 30 amp alt.breakers, turned on master and alt. switches. I had all the charge lights on. Front,Rear,Disc, and low voltage all on. I pressed alternator restart switch nothing happened. I was getting close to Albany,so I let them know I was having electrical problems I was working on. I flew north of their control area to stay clear and continued for another 20 minutes. Atc told me they were losing transponder. I started losing total battery power. At that time I tried again and this time I was able to get the alternators back on line. All the alternator error lights went out accept the alt.disc. light. The ammeter was showing a good charge all the way home.
This was a day flight with 50 mile visibility which is why I kept going. I also turned on my portable Garmin 295 and my handheld nav/com just in case I needed them. The mechanic did not look at problem yet. Any idea as to what happened.