View Single Post
Unread 04-18-05, 05:17 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
There is another kit available for Mooney's and such. It is STC'd for the TSIO-360, but not for the 337, so you would have to get it field approved. I don't know the source, I can try to dig it up by asking my (retired) mechanic if you are interested.

My mechanic was of the same opinion as Skyking and (if I recall correctly) Gmas, that regular plug maintenance at 100 hour intervals and magneto maintenance as specifed in the book made pressurized mags unnecessary, and undesireable because the pressurized air "blew junk into the mags" and created maintenance problems.

But once in a while, when I had 95 or so hours since plug maintenance and was flying above 17,000, I would wish for the pressurized mags, because I would get an intermittant miss, and hated to fly lower to make it go away, but knew that I had to or damage the engine. The mechanic that helped me work on mine when last I owned one, who also had 500+ hours in turbo and pressurized 337s flying checks in Oregon and Washington, said he would put the kit on in a second. He said that my old mechanic was opposed to them because he never had been in a situation when he needed every foot of altitude he could get to overfly weather, and the mags started to miss necessitating a lower altitude and slog through the weather, or 180 degree turn due to ice.

Kevin