View Single Post
Unread 05-30-05, 04:30 PM

J.T.Grant is an unknown quantity at this point
Dear Sirs,
As a proud "SKYMASTER" (Not Super Skymaster) I offer my input.
Yes the first Skymaster was powered by the smaller continental GO300 enines rated at 175 HP for takeoff (same as used on the Cessna 175 variant of the 172). This was also only a four seat aircraft with minimal baggage space.
On speaking with prospective clients Cessna decidied to go ahead with a major redesign to include the Continental IO-360A engines(and only the A model, unless you have an STC!) and a larger cabin for up to 6 persons.
There never was a prototype of the larger model with Cessna simply producing Serial number 336-001, N1701Z, in late 1962 for sale in early 1963.
A variety of options were available including full pnematic deice boots, stretcher set ups, camera ports, tundra tires etc.
The rear cooloing fan is of course a rather obvious difference to the later 337's. However the 336 and 337 do not even share the same type certicate, and have almost no interchangeable parts.
The greatest change that occured with the first 337 was the addition of a higher wing incidence (I believe 5 degrees) which did a nice job of reducing the very nose high flight characteristics of the 336. This can be greatly reduced with a Horton STOL Kit.
Anyway, just my thoughts.
Regards,
James T Grant