View Single Post
Unread 07-10-02, 07:15 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice about which one you prefer. I think, however, that you are both wrong about the order the models were introduced. The KLN90 was the first King panel mount GPS, and the 90B was the first with approach approval. This is why you see so many units available on the market - they went into turbine equipment and are coming out now for newer stuff. The 89 was a lower cost unit (gas plasma display rather than CRT) that came out after the 90. I have read both manuals, and the 89 clearly came after the 90 in software development. For example, on the 90, the approach must be added to the end of a flight plan, on the 89, you can just select an approach and fly it.

Maybe I remember wrong, but I followed the GPS equipment very closely when it first came out, and this is the way I remember it.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts on which is a better unit, and what I wrote above is not meant to contradict that.

Kevin

P.S. Just checked with my avionics shop to see how the new transponder is going, and he confirms the KLN90B was introduced before the KLN89B. He says he is not aware of any issues with database size on the 89B. Anybody out there actually having these problems themselves, can tell me more about what they are? -Kevin

Last edited by kevin : 07-10-02 at 07:25 PM.