Thread: EchoFlight
View Single Post
Unread 07-11-02, 08:40 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
Pat

My brother lives close to OJC! Going there next weekend.

The info on the sight seems close. The up and downlink time is not that important as I would not rely on any nexrad information for tactical purposes. Storms are too dynamic. The Echoflight can adopt any information as can Garmin, now or later. Money and resources determine the scope of the product.

No doubt as Broadcast wx information (data) is developed serial interfaces (RS-422) will carry the information from a receiver/decoder to the display.

The fact the 530 has 8 serial inputs gives it a lot of flexibility and expansion capability. The other side of the coin is a PC based system where mapping overlays are used in a combination of raster and/or vector dispays. These have a lot of merit as you can integrate approach plates and other larger database information (hard disc systems).

I really do not expect any of these earlier systems to have a shelf life of more than 5-7 years as the technology progresses quickly. No doubt the 530 can and will last longer and echoflight; who knows. I assume they will be bought out before they fold since going public these days is not a wise move.

Certification such as TSO will keep the players apart and no doubt a few (3 maybe) will emerge with a competitive product. Time will tell.

In the meantime there are some good alternatives, available now, that can improve the safety of flight without breaking the bank. You have to give credit to pioneers like Echoflight and Anywhere (movers and shakers) that light fires under the big boys..... Impressive technology, but more to the fact, a great job of integrating current resources to make them more useful...as a whole.

I have had two good years out of the product so far and decided not to wait for Garmin as I figured it would not be high on their priority list as a product. No doubt, they must be more careful due to potential liability. I can't wait for three more opening screens of disclaimers and warnings. ( Turning this unit on may be detrimental to your health).

Sorry to get carried away.

Bob