View Single Post
Unread 07-12-02, 03:58 AM

Kevin McDole is an unknown quantity at this point
I too recall the introduction sequence the same as Kevin. It was 90, 90A, 90B, then the 89.

My hangar mate's Mooney Ovation came with a 90B - and two years later when he upgraded to the Bravo, the 89B came standard.

I vaguely recall there was a problem with the approaches on the 89B and for a some period of time they lost their IFR certification. I don't remember the details, nor the fix.

In my opinion, the KLN90B is a good unit, but the "moving map" it offers couldn't be more primative. As someone else suggested, coupled with an Argus it's a nice setup. Unlike Bob, I have had a few RAIM errors. I had one of the early units and it has been to the factory for upgrades a couple of time. I haven't see the RAIM errors in several years now.

Regarding flying GPS approaches, with any unit you choose, make sure you really understand the steps required. The GPS Tee approaches are so easy they may lull you into a sense that you understand the unit better than you do. Try a GPS/NDB overlay with the procedure turn, where the NDB is used for the IAF, FAF, and Missed. That will quickly show you whether you understand the "details."

And I'll needlessly mention, the Garmin 430/530 blows away the KLN90B in ease of use, features, and situational awareness. But of course it costs a small fortune.