View Single Post
Unread 03-08-03, 09:21 PM

Damon Banks is an unknown quantity at this point
No Probs, perfectly ok to question.

In my handbook (74 P), under section III - emergency procedures, landing gear malfunction procedures, extension malfunctions (page 3-10) it says:

"A visual cheek of landing gear position after extension should become a habit for every pilot. Illumination of the gear down indicator light is not always a sufficient check of gear position since a damaged or improperly adjusted landing gear system or switching could cause a malfunction which would not be evident unless gear position was checked. As an example of this type of malfunction, an improperly adjusted down lock switch which actuated before gear extension was complete would allow hydraulic pressure to be diverted prematurely from gear actuation to door closing, resulting in proper gear indicator light operation but leaving one main gear in an intermediate trailing position after the system had shut off. Attempts to retract and then extend the gear again would result in the same condition. Also, use of the emergency hand pump would not permit further extension of the gear since pressure is diverted to the door system in the final phases of gear extension and any additional pressure applied to the system would be recirculated. To relieve the pressure which is holding the doors closed, and complete the extension of the trailing gear, electrical power must be removed from the door control valve solenoid which is trapping pressure to the gear door actuators. Turning off the battery and alternator switches will allow the door control valve to recycle to the gear actuator position, permitting hand pump pressure to be applied to complete extension of the trailing main gear. Once extension is complete, the battery and alternator switches should be turned on again to actuate the door control valve and close the doors."

Now, that's for an extension malfunction, and so may have helped to get the gear down for your landing. As to why the green light stayed on during your retraction, I'm at a loss...One idea I do have is that you may have a faulty pressure switch on the hydraulic power pack, allowing the pump to start and unlock the gear, but then failing to complete the cycle any further...still can't figure why your green light stayed on on though, and that shouldn't have caused the circuit breaker to pop.

I'm always picking up the handbook and finding little pearls in there - for such a thin book it takes a lot of reading...I'm sure there's someone who keeps putting extra information in there when I'm not looking!