View Single Post
Unread 07-12-11, 11:14 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
The insurance company will be the determining factor if the multi rated CFI(I) can instruct in the Skymaster. The tricky part is "Who is the PIC?" If you own the plane, you insure it and the CFI meets the OPW for type then the CFI can instruct in your airplane. The premium for the insurance will be extremely high if you are named on the policy.

Doing this in the 337 makes things a little harder because most CFI's don't have 337 time. If you were to find a 337 to rent and the CFI meets the insurance requirement then OK. It just gets really sticky trying to do this in the actual Skymaster.

Here is what I would do to get this rating out of the way in the cleanest fashion. Go get your multi rating in a normal twin engine aircraft. Compared to Skymasters these aircraft are offered at most any flight school. You will probably be flying a Seminole or a Duchess but there is no sticky stuff to worry about. In the long run you will be much better off having a standard multi certification rather than a limited CLT only. I can say this because I did just what you are planning. I got my multi in a Skymaster and had a limitation for 12 or 15 years. Did it limit me? Yes, I had some opportunities that presented themselves but I was not able to partake because of the limitation. Also all the hours that I logged with the limitation in place technically don't count as standard multi time. But if you have the standard multi and then fly the CLT it counts as standard multi. Go figure. Anyway, stuff changes in our lives and opportunities land in our laps, why limit yourself.

Just my $0.50

Just go get the rating and be done with it. Then you can comfortably find your Skymaster and be ready to go.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years