View Single Post
Unread 09-17-20, 09:20 AM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
Sooo....

when I got my 337 it flew "fine" but control forces seemed "heavy" compared to anything else I had flown (all singles). Called a friend who had also owned 337 in past and discussed and he said to expect heavier control forces, his experience. So shook it off but still questioned.

Fast forward to extended annual where we took apart EVERYTHING. Discovered a frozen pulley rubbing a control line. discovered the frozen flaps-trim interconnect cable, limiting trim especially nose up trim. But most importantly, disconnected the control connections of the 400 series autopilot at which point, wah-la, huge freedom of movement, much lighter control forces. The grease in the gearing of the servos had hardened and turning of the servos with control movements (and later by hand once removed) was incredibly stiff. Totally different control forces now that autopilot mechanicals
are disconnected. I could see where stiff elevator control might be interpreted as "heavy pitch". I sure was thinking same thing.

Check rigging and check autopilot servo freedom of movement