Thread: 336 Owners
View Single Post
Unread 06-07-08, 03:55 AM

Richard is an unknown quantity at this point
A few details on this new bird.
It has 1102 hours total time on the airframe and engines. Yes, the engines are original and never overhauled or had any jugs changed. It was stored in a hanger for 27 years without any activity, but in the last 10 years it has seen monthly activity. To some (including me) this would worry them about the engines being so old. I was skeptical, but amazingly enough, the engines don't leak a drop. Driest IO360s I've ever seen. Compressions are great and the plane flies book figures. In a 6 hour flight, we started with a full 10 qts, after the flight we had burned 1.5 qts in each engine. I'm happy because I'm used to seeing cracks and patches all over the baffle pans. This is like having a new plane.

Things I've noticed:

I miss the visibility of the 337
Rear engine burns almost 1 gph more than the front
Vibration from the rear engine is noticeably different from and 337
Elevator authority is better with the 336
Climb rate is flat out amazing

Even though the plane is under a new annual, I'm having my trusted IA go over it again. He has found a few minor corrosion issues on some of the fuel lines are are replacing them. A few other leaks and minor things, but pretty small for a craft approaching 50 years of age.

Everything is functional on the plane except for the thrust warning system. So I'm faced with having the system removed or find the missing parts to make it functional. Any advise? Is it a system that comes in handy? I've noticed that every 336 I have seen has the system removed. Reason?