View Single Post
Unread 01-19-05, 01:26 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Many of us have flow Skymasters on one engine.

Speaking only for myself, I really question whether a Skymaster at gross weight will maintain altitude on 66% power on one engine, as your calculations require. It has been a couple of years since I did it, but I remember it requiring more than that.

If it *will* maintain altitude, it will be at or near best rate of climb airspeed, with a high angle of attack. That would be a very uncomfortable way to fly the airplane for long periods, the air flow to the rear engine would be compromised, and it just doesn't make sense to me that a higher angle of attack would be an efficient way to fly the wing.

So that is why I suggested you fly it in a closed course to eliminate wind effects, and see what works the best overall. I think you will find that low power settings on both engines will serve you better.

By the way, 100 knots is the best glide speed with both engines feathered, so your best range should occur by reducing power to maintain that speed. This is about 10 knots faster than the best single engine rate of climb speed.

Lastly, if you are flying over water at cold temperatures, keep in mind that if you cold soak the front engine by flying it shut down at cold outside air temperatures for a while, you will very likely find it difficult to restart if you need it (because the other engine failed).

Kevin