View Single Post
Unread 04-08-10, 06:04 AM

N5ZX is on a distinguished road
Howdy, Spa.
When I was shopping for SkyMasters last year I ran accross a Super SkyRocket that advertised a useful load of 2000#. I cross verified independantly that with Owen Bell. I do not know if that was for that specific aircraft or the general mod package. However, Owen seemed to indicate that it was indicative of Super SkyRockets in general.

He also said that the 310hp engines in the Super SkyRocket conversion had inadequate ventillation and were prone to heat issues.

The only personal "negative" experience I have with the Super SkyRocket is that after having talked about it soooooooooo much....whenever I walk into my local FBO, a few of my CFI "buddies" like to break into a chorus of "SkyRockets in flight.....Afternoon Delight..."

They even managed to get ATC to say it once.

But I digress.... Back to your question :

A standard Turbo SkyMaster has a normal(ish) Useful load of around 1500# (I think).
My modified P-SkyMaster has a useful load of 1740#
The Super SkyRocket has an advertised useful load of 2000#....or so I have been told.
Owen Bell's (experimental) "Ultimate SkyMaster" mounts two IO-550 (350hp) driving 3-bladed scimetar Hartzels and supposedly has a Useful load of 2500#....for the price of a used lear jet or caravan. I took a demo flight in it and was very VERY impressed. Ya gotta hold back (a lot) on power at lower altitudes to avoid Vne.....but initial climb-out at 110kts gave us 3300fpm....no BS!!!! Its a beast. Last I heard, a variety of STC's were pending approval to get it out of "Experimental" classification.
Cole

Last edited by N5ZX : 04-08-10 at 06:17 AM.