Thread: Fuel systems
View Single Post
Unread 10-15-03, 05:03 PM

Paul Sharp is an unknown quantity at this point
Noticed a couple of queries on the first page of this thread asking about my model (sorry, but didn't see them earlier). I have a 1967 Turbo B model.

It has separate tanks, separate fillers, separate caps, and fuel selector positions for main, aux, cross-feed, and off.

Here's a little more thinking. I checked my BEW yesterday (hadn't looked at it in a while), and it's 1377. So if I put full fuel in (128 gals. = 768)), I have a usable weight of 609 bls. left. That means I can take 3.48 FAA (175 lbs. each) passengers, but in reality I always get the weight of the people involved and go by that. If there is baggage then there's more to figure and deal with.

I usually leave my main tanks full and the aux. at 7 lbs. each. That's 624 lbs. of fuel and means I have a remaining useful load of 753 lbs. - which is four FAA passengers and 50+ lbs. of luggage. So I seldom even worry about the weight but just keep the heaviest up front during loading (empty CG is always nearer the reat than front on mine). If I know I'll start approaching the limits then I start planning on how to deal with it. Once we had 5 people in the plane, but 2 were well under the FAA's 175 lbs., and there was very little luggage for the 2.5 hr. trip. So I didn't even have to leave fuel out from the previous trip.

I definitely agree that you need to be sure to know the weights involved, and any time there is a question you have to get out the scale and figure things out, being careful to track the loading for CG too.

I like the 7 lbs. in each aux. even if I need to reduce what's in the mains because if you throttle back you can easily get 1/2 hr. of flying from them and if you really got stupid you know you can switch to the aux. tanks and start looking for a landing place pronto. If you don't have anything in the aux. tanks and got stupid you may not realize it until an engine stops and then you're out of options.

Last edited by Paul Sharp : 10-16-03 at 06:34 PM.