View Single Post
Unread 08-10-02, 10:51 PM

Mark Hislop is an unknown quantity at this point
Kevin:

There are two separate problems of "flickering lights" here.

The first is when the alternator under voltage lights flash on and off, indicating that the alternators are not sharing the load. The paralleled voltage regulators will solve the problem of load sharing between the alternators.

The second type of "flickering lights" is evidenced by a flicker in your insturment lights. It is caused by rapid (several times per second) fluctuations in the output voltage of the alternators, which is caused by high resistance in the field or VR circuits (in the field switches, in wire connectors, terminal strips, etc.). The amount of resistance that will cause these fluctuations is miniscule. I have replaced alternator field switches which measured "0.0" with a high quality VOM, and all of a sudden my flickering went away.

You can have flickering instrument panel lights even with the paralleled regulators. The only cure for this that I've found is to keep all resistance out of the critical circuits, paying special attention to crimping and soldering connectors like Mike mentioned.

Mark