View Single Post
Unread 04-13-11, 10:11 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Update

I don't know where they are getting the engines, but apparently TFHAWK is serious about a diesel Skymaster. I say I don't know, because Delta Hawk Engines is still in the testing phase. It could be that TF is working with them. In any event, I have learned that they are going to produce, and soon, what they call the "Golden Hawk" conversion. Pricing is expected to be about $340K, including new props and all mods. Some of the mods make a lot of sense. They say they will have engine block heaters and fuel heat. Heating the fuel is a good thing, because Jet fuel tends to gel, and attract moisture. Those jets who have fuel heaters don't need Prist added to the fuel. Since Prist is expensive, the fuel heaters are a good thing. They also say they are going to have dual electrical systems, another good thing. If you don't have the Gear Door STC, they want to to put it on. I have mixed feelings about that, but a lot of people have them. I remember Super Skyrockets saying they did not approve, because the wheels could collect ice. I know that when we cleaned Jerry's plane, his wheels tended to collect OIL. New engines would solve that issue. They also talk about electrical heated wing de-ice. I have seen this, and I have seen this removed. I think it would be up to you.

They will also put on the Horton STOL kit, and spoilers. Both good things to have. I have flown Herb's with the Horton, and it really helps on take off and landing. Jerry has spoilers, and those are great for getting down. There will be cowling mods, of course, and an MVP engine analyzer.

The price seems steep, but I don't think it is. When I flew Owen's SkyMonster, he was talking $350K for that mod, and that didn't include all the things that TFHAWK is talking about.

Changing engines is a big undertaking, because not only do you have the cost of the engines, you also need a newly designed engine mount, and new cowlings.

Being able to run Jet A should appeal to a lot of folks, especially when you consider that in some parts of the world, 100LL is virtually unattainable. When Paul and Mary flew up the Amazon, then needed to buy 100LL in 55 gallon drums, and have them delivered to their planned fuel stop. If they were burning Jet A, it would have been readily available.

When I get more information, I'll pass it along.