View Single Post
Unread 03-09-09, 06:31 PM

John Hoffman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymaster337B View Post
Does anyone have any experience changing front engine rubber mounts? My question is: can I get away with not disconnecting everything (oil lines, throttle cables, etc.) by only lifting the engine high enough to remove and replace the rubber mount pads? I heard the bolts will not line-up very well unless the weight of the engine is supported, so are there any trade secrects on replacing the rubber mounts?
I had the front mounts replaced at last years annual. It was going to be an easy annual and the A&P could have been looking for extras, not a problem as they were probably the original 1973 mounts. His labor estimate was 4 hrs. and that is what was billed. I did ask how it would go and he said something like - they raise the engine and "slip them in" so I guess you are on the right track. Im sure your a better mechanic than I am but I could have probably found a way to make a mess of the job - was happy to pay the $200 labor. Just an observation I posted on the CPA site last year thinking I would get some response - like how cheap can you be?? and that is that when he handed me the old mounts I could see that there was no damage and that only the one in compression was affected, the other 1/2 was like original -- so -- why not just buy 2 sets and only use the new ones on the compression side?? Good luck with your work.