View Single Post
Unread 01-10-18, 05:24 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
My plane a 1973 C337G and only has 5 seats. I think all 1973 and later C337's only have 5 seats. The aft seat is small, however I would say suitable for 5 '5 120 pound folks.

In my airplane, the bigger problem is not so much the comfort once seated, it is actually getting seated back there. It requires this mildly cumbersome effort to release the middle bench seat and raise it vertically (it's hinged) so one can gain access to the aft area for bags or 5th seat. Once seated, comfort is OK, even for me at 180 pounds 5 '11. The middle bench seat is heavy (40 pounds) and not very convenient to move around. I actually do not carry the middle bench seat in my airplane anymore. After I recovered the seats, I decided to never install it. I usually only fly with myself or one other person so needing all 5 is not necessary for me. A third person can easily sit in the aft small seat and gain access to it if the middle bench seat is not installed. The entire middle of the cabin is open space for whatever you want to carry without the middle bench seat installed. It's quite nice but obviously no good if you want to carry more than 3 people in a G model.

Another "mild" safety concern would be an aft seat passenger exiting the aircraft in an emergency. It would require crawling over the middle bench seat to get out. The back rests on the middle bench seat can be quickly flattened forward creating more space but it would still require crawling over the entire seat to get to the door.

I believe 1972 models and earlier all had baggage doors back there that doubled as emergency exits. 1973 was the year of pressurization and Cessna eliminated the baggage doors so as to not have more places for cabin air to escape. I think since the baggage door went away, part of the certification requirements were no more than 5 seats but not positive on this. My airplane is not pressurized but it is my understanding from 1973 on, Cessna built all the frames the same whether it was going to be a P-model or not. Consequently, no baggage door for me. You can have one installed I believe on 1973 and later models but that will require a $1 or $2.