View Single Post
Unread 05-31-10, 05:46 PM

jchronic is on a distinguished road
I vote 'Yes.' It's true that the POH numbers were generated on the basis of a new, clean airplane flown by a factory test pilot (and such computer data as was available in the 1960s). But from what I remember when I checked the performance numbers when I started the marine surveys a few years ago, I was comfortable I could get back to dry land on one engine, even with an airplane at near max gross (4200#) - bearing in mind that I'm talking about already being at 700' when the engine craps out.

Even if your airplane is so out of rig or dented that you couldn't maintain, say, 5000,' at max continuous (25/25) the sink rate should be minimal, down to a point where you'd be in ground effect. That would cover a lot of ground (or water).

Regarding the engines, I'd start at the top of the green arc and see what it gave me. If the airplane wasn't holding altitude, I'd let it sink until I wasn't comfortable going any lower and then use it all. A good reason to baby the engines under normal circumstances.

All of this is analogous to the 'driftdown' procedure we used in the airlines on the heavy jets.

Finally, unless you're alone, don't forget about throwing stuff out the cargo door (women and children first?)

Ahab