View Single Post
Unread 06-03-02, 07:19 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
Keven re oxygen

Keven
1)portable systems : see below.
2) confused when you say "cans". Think you mean oxygen "bottles".
3) additional info;
In the P versions you could go for the canisters that are one-time usage for 20 minutes. It costs about 1000 dollars to replace them. The rear is slightly larger with three outlets. I removed the generators per a manidory SB whereas all canisters must be replaced within 10 yrs.
BTW these were made by SCOTT. During the annual we removed one and fired it off. The surface temp of the cannister rose to 240 deg. F. I was concerned about these creating a fire. Apparently a couple of Malibu's were lost because of the temps.

The other factory option was a built in system. I saw back last fall where someone such as preferred had some oxy tanks for sale but the upkeep and weight is a pain. You need to have them pressure tested and the "plane" refills are not cheap!
Skyox and others have some light weight aluminum bottles. My "D" sized bottle is located in the base of a centre console between the seats (out of the way).

With the skyox or equivilant you can carry it as a portable and they have a carriers for the back of the seat. just do a web search on AVWEB for the info. In the long run it was cheaper and easier to handle. I use oxgen at night or when I am tired and need to wake up and feel refreshed. Does great for poor vision at night. I recommend use of oxygen at night above 8k ft.

It is nice to climb out of the "crap" regardless of type! This includes getting away from VFR weekenders playing with their new GPS's ....... <G>.

Bob