View Single Post
Unread 09-12-06, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
You don't say over how many years these things happened or the condition of your aircraft when they did*, so the list is not necessarily surprising. With my previous and current Skymasters over an 8 year period, I have these comments:

1. My list is shorter:
landing gear stuck - numerous times (but see paragraph 2 below)
bad engine fuel pump - 1
bad aux. fuel pump - twice
bad oil temperature sensor - 1
rear eng rocker arm broken - 1 (but see paragraph 2 below)

2. The first and last incidents can be attributed to me -- pilot or operator error. The landing gear in my 73 used to get stuck when I abused the battery and let it run out of water. I now have a strict policy of removing the battery every 3 months, replenishing with distilled water and trickle charging overnight; since then, the problem has gone away. The broken rocker arm occurred soon after I overheated the engine (descended without enriching the mixture).

For an 8-year period, that's not bad.

Ernie

* Skymasters, because they were cheap to acquire, often ended up in the hands of owners who couldn't afford the necessary maintenance. When they were sold, the new buyers of these aircraft ended up facing frquent breakdowns and large maintenance bills. Obviously, a Skymaster in this group will have a long list of problems.