View Single Post
Unread 08-27-23, 07:05 PM

Timcote1960 is on a distinguished road
Gear/stall warning alarm

I have periodically had trouble with this errant alarm that sounds both as a stall warning and as a gear up alert. Years ago, the damn thing went off constantly whenever I backed off to half throttle, around MP= 18”. My AP fixed it with a simple adjustment on the console.

Later, I found it going off whenever I flew into precipitation. Frankly, the blaring horn doesn’t do much for my scan in IMC, but I manage.

Today was my least enjoyable experience with this wonderful gizmo—just after takeoff it decided to sound and wouldn’t stop. I entered a cloud layer on an IFR plan and, to complicate matters, my trusty STEC autopilot suddenly decided it wasn’t in the mood to keep on the heading bug’s heading. So yes, I had to hand fly through IMC for about an hour with a blaring horn until I could finally glance over to include the breaker panel in my scan and find the proper circuit to pull.

Did I mention that my wife did not enjoy this flight one bit? While I knew and told her we were totally safe, the insistent alarm had the compelling argument.

I’m thinking this time maybe it’s the stall warning switch due to the recent precipitation-induced alarm and my preflight inspection of the rusty vane tha, while it t showed free movement, looks every bit of its 47 years age.

What think?

Tim
Norm Asp 337G N122WB