View Single Post
Unread 08-31-07, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think that the landing gear of a 336 is significantly different from that of a 337 in its ability to handle a dirtstrip. We have several 336 owners who participate here, so let's see if perhaps they can correct me.

Guarding against prop strikes on the rear prop is a concern, and I think that the procedure is to start the takeoff run by advancing the throttle of the rear engine first, and advancing the throttle of the front engine after you've gained some speed.

The 2700 ft length should be sufficient, even with the take-off technique mentioned above, but there's not much room for errors. I remember a landing I made on an Idaho mountain grass strip (U88) early in the morning, when the grass was still wet with dew, and I used the whole 3850 feet. This was in my first 337, when I was a rookie pilot, where the mountains on the approach path led me to a too-high approach, and where my insecurity (fear?) led me to a too-fast approach. With 2700 ft you can't make those mistakes.

Again, we have some members who fly frequently into unpaved strips and hopefully they wiil add to both the prop strike and runway length issues.

Ernie