View Single Post
Unread 05-29-02, 05:22 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
Paul

Just joking re clearance.

Re temps. Oil temp does take some time to come down. Suggest you might want to look into jpi, ei or alternative oil temp sensors. They are not expensive. The OEM jobs are NOT that accurate compared to digital ones these days, especially using thermocouples. Typically oil temp sensors have the probe isolated from the body, therefore, no need for temp xfer compound. Just tight enough to stop leaking, being careful not to damage the insulator. The cht probes do conduct heat and measure the probe body temperature.

You will probably need to calibrate or check calibration of the probe when installing a new one or swapping them. They will no doubt vary. Heat up oil, or use boiling water for calibration (212 deg F). I believe the temp will go off scale if an open circuit occurs. You may want to try this on the ground to verify (fails safe).

The oil temp sensor resistance (ohms) varies with temperature. A current passes thru the probe and is measured by a meter. A thermocouple generates a minute voltage based on dissimiliar metals. The voltage is amplified and measured by a meter or Analog to digital converter (A/D) in the newer devices.

I use the JPI oil temp probes on the 760-C and don't bother with the factory probes anymore. In my opinion they are like wetting your finger and holding it up in the air to measure wind speed and direction. Middle finger works best.

What you had asked for was an anti-cloud clearance..........

bob

Last edited by Bob Cook : 05-29-02 at 05:27 PM.