View Single Post
Unread 01-26-10, 12:31 AM

CO_Skymaster is on a distinguished road
After thinking it over, I'm going to approach it in a couple steps:

1. At the current time, the SID does not affect me since I'm a private owner; only seems to affect those in a business type situation. So, other than keeping an eye on it, there will be nothing to do. (Sidenote: I know a co-worker who has a Nothrup Grumman T-34. There was some problem with the wing spare on that aircraft and he had to have eddie current inspections performed every year, which was very expensive. He finally had the spar repair per manufacture specification. It was very expensive. I sent him an e-mail today asking if his issue started as a SID, just for my information)

2. If it becomes mandatory, I will not pay 60,000 dollars for an inspection, even if that is worse case scenario. I hope also for that price, there is a fix so if people decide to do it, they will not be doing it again for a very long time. I would grin and bare it if the price were under about 20,000. What I might take a chance on (if possible) is determining how to dismanle the aircraft myself and have an IA inspect it. I would need an A&P to inspect me if I had to do the work. Hopefully, it will not come to that, but I'll go that option before the 60,000 dollar option.

3. Last option, give up the skymaster, and go back to my original plan to build a kit aircarft. I like the Velocity aircraft. It has 4 seats, room, speed, and good gas milage. A fast build kit take approximately 800 hour to build. I almost had that time invested in my last plan's build aircraft.

There my options,

Karl