Thread: She's here!
View Single Post
Unread 04-07-07, 06:59 PM

gkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Exactly what I believe too. I would rather get the gear down sooner than later, and have it confirmed. That's one thing less to worry about once things start to happen quicker in the circuit. When I flew the first time, I had the gear down 2 miles out, but that is a too close for comfort for me. I had only time for one GUMP. Because I was also about to join downwind, my speed was slower when those backside barndoors opened.

I don't want to "use" the process to decrease speed or altitude, but I noticed that it is quite possible if one is not prepared for that. I think at slower speeds, letting the gear down can actually ruin your nicely set up landing configuration, and you might find yourself fighting the speed and altitude all over again to regain that,when you should be paying attention to other things. In future I will put the gear down further out and at higher speed.

At what speed do you activate your gear down usually? I did mine at about 115 kts (maybe why I felt more of an effect on the airspeed). I am thinking of letting the gear down at 120 kts and 5-6 miles out...

Last edited by gkey : 04-07-07 at 07:22 PM.