View Single Post
Unread 02-18-07, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Dave's response is right on target. Since I've never considered a trans-Atlantic journey, I didn't know about the 50% fuel rule, but it certainly makes sense. (Brian von Herzen once invited me to go with him on one of his crossings, pehaps because most of my flights are over water, but, to be honest, I find even the northern routes too risky -- or put differently, I'm a chicken!)

About the only comment I have deals with lean-of-peak (LOP) operation. I would tend to disagree with Dave that Cessna employed LOP to generate the POH figures. I guess I'm naive and can't believe Cessna would use a procedure vastly out of conformance with the POH operating instructions. I think they did lean aggressively, but stayed ROP, and along with new engines, new props, and a super-clean (and waxed) airframe, you can get to the POH figures. And there is evidence for this in the POH when you look, not at the consumption, but at the speeds attained.

But I'm splitting hairs here. Dave and I agree that you can't do this safely without adding more fuel tanks and making other preparations. One that hasn't been discussed is oil consumption. I don't think it's a show-stopper, but I would make sure that your two engines can go the distance without running out of oil.

Ernie