View Single Post
Unread 02-20-07, 07:14 AM
N456TL

Dave Underwood is on a distinguished road
If you like tourist things, go to the museum at Wataskiwin Alberta first before heading east. For anyone else, it is a very neat place and the site of the Canadian Aviation Hall of Fame with a number of family friends listed, as well as neat airplanes.

Then head for Thunder Bay and then go south of Lake Superior to the Sault watching for thunderstorms in the Duluth area. The southerly route has more airports etc.

If you have not flown in the east before, stay away from the major airports, but include Hamilton and Ottawa on your route for the air museums. The via Sept Isle for fuel.

to CYYR - Goose Bay
BGBW - Narsarsuaq
BIKF - Keflavik or BIRK - Reyjkjavik
EGPO - Stornoway in Scotland

The alternative route is the far north route as follows:

CYVP - Kuujjuac
CYFB - Iqaluit (Frobisher Bay)
BGSF - Kangerlussuack (Stromfjord)
BGKK - Kulusuk
BIKF or BIRK
EGPO

From there make sure you see Duxford on the way past but remember it is PPR.

Stay away from all large airports in Europe.

Going further south, there was a trip "Called East 14" from the UK to South Africa about a year ago and they went via Salzburg, Cyprus to Cairo and down the east coast of Africa as it was safer and had better fuel availability. I will see if I can find the link for that trip and add it to this thread.

I don't know about the west side of Africa these days, but I have a friend flying out of Sierra Leone at the moment and I will try and contact him and get the very current view from him. FYI - I think things change quite quickly so you may want to be flexible.

Drop me an email if you want more information at dcunder@aol.com.

Regards - Dave