View Single Post
Unread 08-27-12, 09:50 AM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
My 2 cents on the Arctic Air (cooler) air conditioner... I purchased one of the larger ones at Oshkosh a few years ago. It works as advertised, which is to say it does a good job keeping the cabin cool.

The preparation work is the problem. Stopping at the gas station on the way to the airport to buy several large bags of ice, getting it all loaded, lifting 50+ pounds into a sweltering C337 cabin and securing it, and by now one is totally drenched in sweat. Not fun.

Realistically about 45 minutes to an hour of cool air is what you get with my unit. Which will get you up and down assuming it is turned off at altitude. If you have a multi-leg day, a re-load is necessary assuming you can get the ice at the airport you happen to be at and then you get to enjoy that preparation work once again.

I try very hard not to use my unit because of all this and actually have not used it in 2 or 3 years now. If I was really motivated for a particular flight and it was 95 plus degrees, I would probably use it but generally if it is that warm outside, I try to avoid flying. You may not have that option however, so the prep work may be worth it to you.

Good Luck,
Ed