Thread: Access question
View Single Post
Unread 02-10-11, 06:19 PM

Wyoaviator is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by hharney View Post
Wyoaviator

If your father cannot access into the co pilot side of a 206 I don't think you are going to find much difference in the 337. As I first read your post I was thinking that you were leaning toward the airstair door of the later model 337 but then you said that you needed the baggage door and that brought me back to the original swing out Skymaster door.

Here are my thoughts; I don't think the baggage door will accommodate the scooter. I don't have the dimensions right now but I could measure it for you tomorrow. A standard large suitcase will not fit through the door and normally I have to load them over the rear seats. The copilot seat will slide up to allow access to the rear seats or the pilot seat but I don't practice entering that way to often. I do however let the rear passengers out before with the copilot seat forward and it works fine.

I really think the 206 is a better idea with the large door in the rear and access on both sides for pilot and copilot. Just my thoughts.

Thank you Mr. Harney
If a large suitcase won't fit into the baggage area, I doubt the scoooter will make it, even with a set of ramps. I was originally thinking as you said about the airstair door. I really don't believe he could lift himself into the front seat of a 206, even if it did have doors on both sides.

The beauty of the 337 is that the gear and the strut do not appear to get in the way of ingress.

If you really wouldn't mind measuring the door, I could at least say thank you for helping me out.

I had figured, as I believe you assumed, that he could crawl into the passenger compartment, then work himself into the back seat with the front seat all the way forward. I'm guessing this is not a whole lot different than the process used in getting into the back seat of a 182.

Thanks to all who commented and provided advice. I haven't given up yet.

And, if nothing works out, we will continue using the airlines and dealing with the friendly TSA people. The beauty of a 737 as opposed to a 337 is that both the passenger door and the cargo door are large enough to accomodate everything we need to take with us. It is just a much more difficult process.