Thread: Access question
View Single Post
Unread 04-23-11, 11:52 PM

ConwayB is an unknown quantity at this point
My two cents' worth

G'day Wyoaviator,

I have attached some images for you to peruse including seating arrangements, pics of the cabin/cargo area (ignore the yellow tank and associated plumbing... that's for a smoke generator and is not usually there), a pic of an open cargo door and a pic of my aircraft's open cabin door.

The cargo door, from memory, is about 500mm high (about 19") and isn't very big. I think you'd have a hard time getting a scooter in there.

If you were to go for a C337B or similar (ie with cargo door and standard door config as opposed to the airstair), then I would suggest that your dad sits in the pax seat behind the co-pilot's seat if possible... or remove the co-pilot seat altogether. In that way, you can get to the pilot's seat no worries. It means that you are reduced to 1 pilot seat and two pax seats in row two.

I would have to agree with HH. A Piper Seneca (PA-34) has club seating and I think outwards opening doors which may be easier to negotiate.
The other alternative is maybe a Britten-Norman Islander BN2B. It's a 10 seater with great cargo carrying capacity, low floor level, twin engined fixed gear. A bit slower than the P337s but with 10 seats, you can take plenty of people anywhere. It's tough, has IO-520s (so engines and parts aren't hard to come by) and is very docile and forgiving. No gear problems and lots of room! I hope this helps. Cheers Conway
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	337 Seating arrangements.jpg
Views:	902
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1235   Click image for larger version

Name:	ext-3.jpg
Views:	1059
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cargo Compt 337.jpg
Views:	1129