View Single Post
Unread 05-16-12, 09:27 AM

billsheila is an unknown quantity at this point
Herb; Do you know when they say "carbon steel" if that is by default a galvanized steel cable (like the article on wear differences discusses?). I found some early failure reports from a Canadian website that discuss failures on 336's (per what you mentioned to me before) and these were the carbon steel variety not the stainless steel, so it would seem that perhaps either one will fail? Here is one way to look at it, that if these are simply high wear items that have a known failure mode (apparently with either type of steel) then one might as well just replace them often and use the cheaper part! On that point, I seem to be getting odd price data, even on the carbon steel variety. I had one quote where the
"-8" variety were like $175 and the "-7" were multiples of that at $534 both apparently available. This doesn't make sense because perhaps other than length they have the same fittings on them etc. I can't imagine it costs hundreds of dollars more for 50 inches of longer carbon steel cable? When I spoke to Beechhurst, they claimed there was nothing wrong legally with using their replacement cables (and they had appropriate paperwork to verify proper mil-spec construction) and they are made to order in either carbon steel or stainless steel, but you can't order them directly they basically make them to match what you send them as replacements. If you end up ordering from Beechhurst let me know and I will order a carbon steel set alongside yours. Thanks. Bill