View Single Post
Unread 01-01-09, 01:03 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Before Christmas break we started a couple projects; the BAS seat belt system and inspection of the fuel cells. I have a small stain under the right side aux that was due for some inspection. Because the aircraft is going to paint after the interior is complete it only made sense to tackle the fuel cell inspection now. I have some really good and friendly help from the owner of the facility. Thanks to all involved.

The photos below show the flap motor and gear mechanism. I thought I would shoot some pictures of this for reference if nothing else. The insulation that will be going back into the cabin is compared with the original Filter Glass that Cessna installed. I will be cutting and fitting the new approved foam for installation on the rear firewall and ceiling to start with. We will see how much time and money permits for the rest of the cabin. Where there was indication of corrosion behind the linoleum patches, the areas are being treated with Alumiprep and then rinsed with water. While the area is still wet I apply Alodine 1201 using a spray bottle and let it set in. Then rinse again with water and let it air dry overnight before treating the area with Zinc Chromate paint. Each area will be patched with the 1 inch foam to replace the original linoleum. The foam is attached with Pliobond adhesive. This is an approved adhesive that will not promote corrosion. The linoleum has salts in it, therefore when the Cessna adhesive allows moisture to migrate between the skin and the patch it corrodes. The patches are there for a purpose and that is why the foam will be the replacement item. These patches deaden the skin from vibrations that cause cracking in the skin. Thanks GMAS for the process just described. That's the trick, just takes a ton of time. Not really all that expensive for the supplies, just time, time, time. More insulation pictures to come later.

The other photos show the initial installation of the BAS restraint system for the pilots. The A/I is drilling the holes through the spar and roof to attach the shoulder belt nurse reel to the bracket provided by BAS. Again, because we are going to paint, we went ahead and buffed off the paint in the attachment areas for the BAS brackets. This was a little scary seeing a drill bit pushed through the spar and out the roof. I hope those holes are in the right place ;-) More BAS install photos to follow.

Well it's New Years Day and I think I'll hop in the Audi (Tammy's car) and take a visit to Larry's Hanger. It's been 19 days since I have seen my project. Stay tuned!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2JF Lar Rmvs Panl.jpg
Views:	1488
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	711   Click image for larger version

Name:	2JF Flap Motr Gear.jpg
Views:	1468
Size:	308.9 KB
ID:	712   Click image for larger version

Name:	2JF Flap Motr Mech.jpg
Views:	1499
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	713   Click image for larger version

Name:	2JF Aux Tank Strb.jpg
Views:	1614
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	714   Click image for larger version

Name:	2JF Classic Inflight by Kath.jpg
Views:	1444
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	715  

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years

Last edited by hharney : 01-07-09 at 03:31 PM.