View Single Post
Unread 10-10-09, 02:01 PM

Todd Gessel is on a distinguished road
That's great Ed, I'm glad there has been some good come from my experience. The timing of your post is good because I am still undecided on whether I should replace the gear doors with the modification or put it back original with the "gland end" actuators that are available from Don Nieser. See part of an email communication below:

Todd I also looked at the Main Gear door actuators. The 1977 G parts catalog shows p/n 1580017-1 or -3 depending on aircraft serial number and the early model 337's and 0-2 aircraft used p/n 1280513-3 or alternate 1298110-3. I further checked and they all use the same door p/n, the same door hinge p/n and the same actuator mount p/n and the fuselage is no different at the rear firewall. Therefore my conclusion is that the early model 337 actuators and 0-2 actuator will work on your aircraft. The problem is getting approval. Attached are photos of the end of actuators like yours with the snap ring and a photo of an early model 337 actuator that does not have the snap ring. I have 3 of the p/n 1580017-1 and one p/n 1580017-3 actuators as removed for $950 each and a number of the p/n
1280513-3 as removed actuators for $750 each. Let me know and I can ship these parts to you right away.

I would still be looking at getting approval, but I think it would be worth the 'peace of mind', knowing the end of the actuator is more unlikely to fail than with the snap ring.

I have also attached the pictures.

Any advise and/or opinions are welcome. Original gear doors or replace with gear door mod?

I know this topic has been thoroughly discussed on this forum in previous posts, and I have read them. Any additional or fresh thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030153.JPG
Views:	972
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1003   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030154.JPG
Views:	951
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1004