View Single Post
Unread 03-02-06, 12:03 AM

birddog is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Ernie Martin
Let me start with the first question, on the drag comparison on a simulated engine failure vs a featered prop. I don't quite understand what you're asking, buy I'll take a stab at it. The engine-failure simulation in your POH is after feathering. It gives you a throttle setting which corresponds, for that altitude and after adjusting for temperature, with the drag which that engine would have if it's been shut off and feathered. So, there is no difference in drag between the simulated-engine-out setting and the feathered engine.

On the second question, about retarding the power lever on the suspect engine as a last check prior to feathering, this doesn't fall between C and D -- it's the second part of B. After identifying via the gauges which is the suspect engine, you retard and advance the throttle on that engine to verify. A good reason for doing this before C is that, if one engine's gone bad, you don't want to do anything to the working engine which has even a remote possibility of creating a problem, so I don't want to change the fuel mix in the working engine.

Ernie
________
HEALTH SHOP

Last edited by birddog : 04-09-11 at 05:00 PM.