View Single Post
Unread 03-02-06, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Unless Riley inaccurately (or ultra-conservatively) generated the simulated parameters, there should be the same drag. In short, you're simulating an engine out with feathered prop. Unless you've actually turned an engine off and feathered the prop (and I ssume you haven't, since you're asking these questions), how can you determine that the "simulation induced considerable more drag than a feathered prop"? Twice I've turned an engine off and feathered the prop, and there's a lot of drag. You're not only adding drag, you're also killing half the total thrust you had.

On the issue of total distance required to abort a take-off, I think a combination of a few simple tests in your own airport plus a simple calculation would permit you to get a good estimate. Next time you take-off, time how long it takes from take-off to achieving 50 feet altitude at 100 MPH (call this time T). Next time you land, try to touch down at 10 MPH or so above your normal landing speed (assume this higher-than-normal speed is S+), note the touchdown point, do aggressive braking, note the stopping point, later measure this braking distance B. To estimate total distance, first calculate gliding distance G by figuring out how far the aircraft will glide in time T at an average speed halfway between S+ and 100 MPH, and then add G and B. If your climb after take-off does not exceed 100 MPH (best single-engine speed), going for heigth rather than speed, as the POH recommends, then this total distance should be a pretty good estimate, perhaps conservative because I think T (measured at take-off) is longer than the time it would take you to put it on the runway.

But all of this may be a moot point. I hadn't noticed from the "Aircraft Type" entry on the left margin that you have a Riley Superskyrocket. That may change things. My experience is solely with (and from the outset I indicated that my comments have assumed) a standard, normally aspirated aircraft -- in Miami and the Caribbean, where high temperatures further degrades thrust. With a Riley and/or more moderate temperatures, and especially if your simulated testing shows healthy one-engine climb rates, perhaps the better solution if an engine fails at an altitude of 50 feet after take-off is indeed to keep going.

Ernie

Last edited by Ernie Martin : 03-02-06 at 01:04 PM.