View Single Post
Unread 03-02-06, 07:33 PM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
distance to stop

I have read all the comments on this thread and find an important aspect no one has mentioned yet. How long is the runway being talked about? One can easily draw the conclusion that if a runway is of a minimum length for your aircraft...say 2500 feet, then after rotation if an engine out should occur, there is no way you are going to land and stop the plane safely and thus a go around is the best thing to do. To try to judge stopping distance when an engine out occurs is the wrong time to do it. That should have be decided before you started the take off.

Also, one lesson to learn here is that it is not good practice to do take offs from intersections! Always...regardless of runway length, use all the runway there is. Runway left behind you is absolutely no good! Folks..don't be shy to use all 10,000 feet of a runway that has 10,000 feet. Almost all the time I take full runway regardless of length and yes, I had sly comments from the tower people once in awhile regarding that practice but remember, they are in the tower and you are in the airplane.

Jerry
N34EC