View Single Post
Unread 09-21-08, 11:01 AM

Pete Somers is an unknown quantity at this point
OK Gmas
I see your point on these matters, however we all have different approaches to troubleshooting a system and Although you keep saying refer fo the Cessna Service Manual for write ups and defect rectification, but have you found, ahah that what the defect and how to rectify from a Service Manual, no. It comes from experiance an pure hard work.
That quiz question was not a trick, it is a factual question and the answer does not lie in the Service Manual! and it does not matter about the battery condition. It does not matter what type of a/c you work on experience is the only thing that is going to matter weather it is a Tiger Moth or a King Air.

I use an AVO MK8 for most of my measuring of resistance and voltage, it is an old unit but it does the job right, then use a 4 digit DVM for any setting up work like alternators, but each to there own as they say.
A member mentioned about checking bonding across control surfaces using a DVM, no way you need a bonding checker to do this as a DVM does not go low enough to check the bonding.

Is there an STC to replace the regulators on the '66 337 so that each alternator is fed from it's own regulator, sounds an expensive mod to me?

The Manufactures are more and more covering there own rear end by putting a life on items, these parts were always on condition but we have become the sue and sue more society that it has been blown out of proportion.
In the Cessna 337 Service Manual it also says the seat belts should be replaced at 5 years, anybody done this. If they did this sort of thing to your car you would have something to say.

Regarding the starter relays: The CAA over here insist on the fitting of a simple light to show the starter in engaged and the relay is energized, so a failure of the starter relay would be detected by the light being on. Simple but saves a burnt out starter?

Trick question, not my style. But would like an answer.

GMAs I have enjoyed this discussion and I hope that we can have more of these, as you have said for owners that read this I hope it has given you some insight of what is involved in maintaining your airplane and the older they get the more of a problem they are (just like us!).

Thanks GMAs
Pete