View Single Post
Unread 09-21-08, 02:05 PM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

GMAs is on a distinguished road
Pete....
I too enjoy a good tech discussion. Yes indeed you all do it different over their. Putting a light on the dash showing the engagement of the starter would not be hard today using LED's... but then again the wire weight and is it necessary if the plane is maintained.

I used to know a guy who could use two fingers across the voltage source and tell you if it was 120,240 or 480... he wouldn't try 660 because he said his hand got cramps after for a few days... Yes technology has come a long ways from the old days of the edison jar measurements. We have several of the fluke inst that we use here and they seem to serve well... We also use a low freq generator to do surface contact checking... however most of the time a good cleaning, alodining and then mounting takes care of the problem of skin resistance on parts.

Well the service manual is the bible... but yes experance is the key to "gettin 'er done" right the fist time.

Yes I think they did away with the old single regulator... never worked right in the first place... and put in the same as the current dual regulators on the fire wall using the same parts.. shouldn't be that expensive.. but, here in the States we can use a form 337 and get field approval for these types of mods... I don't think a lot of the older ones here are running single vr's anymore... of course cessna quit making the plane that did...336 and early 337... and went on to a better system.

If it were me.. I would change... but if it were too difficult or expensive over their.. I would put a switch in so that only one alternator was working on line... of course your limited in current then if you go by the rules... Yes I would upgrade to the dual vr ... one each for the alternators. Today technology has the VR's built into the alternators on the belt driven ones.. I think some of the EAA guys have converted the Cont drive to use the newer alternators... thus you would have the VR's built into the alternator and wireing would be a breeze to convert the system over... then each VR is right inside the alternator... and of course they are electronic controlled so no adjustment necessary at the source... only IR drop from the rear to front would have to be delt with. A single sense wire could take care of that.

As to your question....
I disagree... with your response... the set voltage is in the Service manual.. and also the battery manufactures publications... they are the guide that you are to follow. Anything else and your not going to get opt life out of the battery. I am still scratching my head about the "...and it doesn't matter about the battey condition" I think most will disagree... that it does... i.e if the battery is low ... how do you set the vr's correctly... the manual clearly states that one should have the battery charged up and full before attempting to set he VR's ... while the plane is running... of course you could set them up using a test jig...on the bench... but then that doesn't take into consideration the IR drop of the connections and condtion of the wires.

Take care my friend

Fly Safe GMAs