View Single Post
Unread 01-25-10, 01:15 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
How are you going to handle the SID?

I am interested to hear how owners are going to handle the SID. About the only thing that is clear to me at the moment (not surprisingly) is that the opinions on whether it will be legally required are varied. I do not see this ever changing unless the SID becomes an AD. I personally am not sure what I will do at the moment. I simply want to fly a safe airplane on nice days for a price I am willing to pay. I am most likely not willing to pay the cost of complying with the major portions of the SID.

The way I see it, when the SID goes into effect, I will have two choices. First, if I am convinced the airframe is safe without the SID (which at the moment, I am undecided but leaning towards that it is safe), I will find an IA (which might be my current IA) that I trust who is willing to sign the airplane as airworthy and keep flying.

Option two, would be if I am not convinced the airframe is safe or I cannot find an IA willing to sign the airplane as airworthy without the SID, take the plane to a salvage yard and retire the airplane.

Option one is most likely the case for me simply because I have been flying my airplane the entire time I have known about the SID and I do not feel my airplane is unsafe. The date the SID goes into effect will not magically change the state of my airplane. If my plane is safe today, then it will be safe the date of the SID. I am simply trying to "swim through the mud" and sort out if my belief that my plane is safe, is true or false.

How do the rest of you feel about your Skymaster? Please try to be objective with your statements and not emotional.

Thanks,

Ed