View Single Post
Unread 01-26-10, 01:28 PM

Roger is an unknown quantity at this point
Ed

Seriously I really don't care that much at all. If it costs $60g's and I have to do it, then I will decide at that time if I want to do it. Likewise If I sell the plane in parts or as a whole, honestly it would not affect my life my finances or my income by virtually any measure. Actually it would probably save me money if I sold it, and give me more free time to do other things I enjoy as well.

My input is more as related to the issue as an exercise in bad business practice with even worse arm chair lawyering as it affects people who may have more at stake than I do.

But let me make one thing perfectly clear, if the SID is not in some way mandatory (not to be confused with an AD), then I would not even consider having my plane tested. If through time someone who may have their plane inspected finds a credible reason for concern (be it this issue or another) then of course I would have that issue checked. But to consider having this checked now given the lack of evidence presented to date would be nothing but an exercise in futility.

That being said, anyone who is now flying a 336/337 and believes that this is even marginally credible as a safety issue, should probably stop flying their plane immediately and have this checked. Because all of the back and forth on this board has nothing to do with the safety issue (if it exists) we are instead talking about laws and policies and intent. None of thsoe issues should in any way cahnge your mind about having your plane inspected as related to the alleged problem if you feel that there is a legitimate concern.

Likewise if you don't feel there is any credibility to this proposed SID, then find an A&P who understands the issues with this particular SID.

However I can certainly see how this SID and it's implementation and interpretation may affect some individuals decision to buy a 336/337. It's much like our home on the ocean. Some people are experiencing beach errosion, so now everybody thinks all beaches are erroding, and ocean front homes have decreased in value (as if they didn't already decrease enough) based on the perception that the homes are not safe. It's not the the homes aren't safe, it's that people perceive them to not be safe. So I understand how this may cause a drop in 336/337 prices. But the reverse of that is many 336/337's may soon be able to be bought at great prices, so there is some upside.

As for all of this, I'm going to go work in my hanger on my 71- IIa - 88" diesel, which has no SID's or AD's