Thread: 73 337g
View Single Post
Unread 02-07-05, 07:08 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Is this a trick question?

Hey Dan (I-PasGas1)...

What chu mean the Skymaster doesn't hold its value!!??? That's complete nonesense. Presuming ALL will be completed on the airplane BEFORE you opt-in for $45K, that would seem very reasonable. BUT a word of caution. If you're going in "on-the-cum" that these improvements will be done conditioned on your opting in ahead of time, I think I'd step back ten-feet and reanalyze the situation. Looking around on Trade-A-Plane, ASO and the Controller, I see some interesting P-models in the $125 to $140K category with fairly low times.

As to the statistics... you must be reading different one's than the rest of us. Most of the statistics you cite as to engine problems have been situations in which someone forgot to ensure the rear engine was actually turning a prop. That's what those EGT's, Tachs, and MP gages are for! Actually the Skymaster has a pretty safe reputation in the engine department, other than stupid pilot mistakes. Do some browsing on this website and you'll discover much more on the positive side of the ledger, than on the negative.

I recall one P337 that I'd flown in and noticed an ungamely fluctuation in rear engine oil pressure that was really troubling. It was for sale and I was the prospector. I opted out of that one and bought another. In the meantime that airplane was flying into Vancouver, BC one late afternoon and the real mill seized up. I mean prop stopped! No way to feather! The pilot and his two guests made a single engine approach and landing into the airport without a hitch. Testimony to the positive aspects of centerline thrust. Gee, there really MUST be a reason Cessna puts those little jet engines side-by-side on the rear fuselage of its Citation Jets! I dare say, if they were wing-pod mounted, there'd be a few assymetrical incidents to read about.

And if you want further convincing evidence as to the resiliency of the 337 over others, just read the NTSB stats on recent 210 and P210 accidents. In many of those cited accidents you'll discover that had there been a second fan blowing, the accident might not have happened.

SkyKing