Thread: Insurance costs
View Single Post
Unread 04-24-05, 03:12 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
I got the "rear engine hot" information directly from two 336 owners, one of whom's aircraft I am running pictures on the home page of the site. The other I talked to at the Arlington Fly-in a couple of years ago. I am glad that neither of you are having hot rear engine issues, and the score for 336's in my mental tabulation is now two with rear engine cooling issues, and two without. My definition, by the way, of having rear engine cooling issues is having to run with the rear cowl flap open partially or fully during cruise.

I am very interested in this subject, because the 337 suffers from "rear engine hot" rumors that I have found to be nearly completely untrue, both from personal experience, and from talking to a lot of owners. So I have always wondered where the rumor came from, and from talking to 336 owners, it seems it must have come from the 336. Cessna dramatically changed the cooling system from the 336 to the 337, and that would seem to support that there must have beens some owners who have this issue.

It is very good to hear that it is not something that happens for every 336 owner. And anyway, opening the cowl flap during cruise partially is no big deal. Just interesting to me.

Kevin