View Single Post
Unread 10-30-04, 11:17 AM

Pat Schmitz is an unknown quantity at this point
A couple additional points I should add. The place I took my multi used a Piper Apache (Geronimo Upgrade) - It's like a flying upside down bathtub....A cast iron one...

Learning Single Engine Maneuvers, and having a solid understanding of VMC (not from a book, but by holding the rudder peddle to the floor until your leg is so tired, it starts to tremble) was one of the most eye-opening experiences I have ever had.. As single engine pilots, we all think it's no big deal, but when the critical engine is lost, things go bad in a big hurry if you don't have altitude, and speed - and an (experienced) awareness of VMC.

When the instructor suddenly pulled off my power on one engine on takeoff roll at 65 Mph... If my memory serves me correct, you should not practice that maneuver above 60% of rotation speed or you are going too fast, and risk a serious accident. We were closer to 80% Rotation speed - it put the plane into a side slide on the runway INSTANTLY, and we oscilated back/forth like three times - tires screaching and all.....

When we were done, I was angry, but I will NEVER forget how uncontrollable that plane was... I had both my hands on the yoke, preparing for rotation (and had forgotton the golden rule on takeoff roll) As a result - I keep my hand FIRMLY planted on the throttles all the way through the takeoff roll, until safe altitude is made...

From that, I learned two things:

1. I may never want to have a conventional now, because they are not nearly as safe and enjoyable to fly as the 337. VMC is serious, and the margin between maintaining it, and a positive climb are extremely narrow - often, you must sacrifice altitude to maintain VMC... With the 337, it's one less MAJOR thing to deal with when things go wrong.

2. I was GLAD that we were not using my plane for the training and checkride... It was extremely abusive, and shutting down/restarting an engine in flight is extremely hard on them... especially in the winter.. Most training schools will only do that maneuver with an engine that is near time, and they generally keep one engine in the fleet in the rotation for just that purpose.. It it blows...it was due anyway.

Give serious consideration to going conventional for your rating. You'll learn a ton, and save yourself $$ on future maintenance.

Last edited by Pat Schmitz : 10-30-04 at 11:27 AM.